The Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU) this morning received a notice of the possible retrenchment of 5 270 employees at Sibanye-Stillwater’s Lonmin operations at Marikana. The notice, sent in terms of section 189A of the Labour Relations Act, includes various supporting documents as part of the rationale for the possible retrenchment. AMCU is currently processing the notice and the supporting documents and the Union will comment more comprehensively once due processes are completed. For now, we emphasise that this notice again clearly shows the principle of profit over people. The sad reality is that, if workers escape being killed while working in these mines, section 189 of the Labour Relations Act becomes another weapon to secure the super profits of mining bosses. AMCU will spare no resource to ensure the job security of workers.
- AMCU Adamant Over Worker Safety As Lockdown Moves To Level 3
- AMCU Calls For Universal Covid-19 Testing At Mines
- AMCU Gets Court Order To Set Minimum Standards In Mining
- AMCU Ready For Court Bid To Set Minimum Standards In Mining
- AMCU Drums Up Support For Court Case Forcing Mining Minister To Set Minimum Standards